Monday, August 31, 2009

No Boat Weekend

We were in Indy for the MotoGP race the past weekend. Well, I was. Deb was in Indy to see Kristin, Brian and Christopher. She endured a day at the race track Sunday but spend most of the weekend working with the kids and playing with the baby. They were kind enough to find Grandpa-T a place to sleep.



Friday morning I headed out to the track from St. Louis, did about 100 miles in pretty hard rain, and watched the racers practice on a soaked track, just like last year. (If it ain't raining, it ain't Indy.) Deb rode in Friday night and somehow missed riding in anything worse than mist. Less than an hour after she got to Kristin's house it starting raining again. Hard. I don't know how she does it.

Saturday dawned sunny, cool and perfect for motorcycle riding (and racing). I got on the GXSR to head to the track only to discover that my (nearly shot anyway) back tire had a nail in it. Deb was kind enough to let me borrow her ZX-14 and I headed out. Deb's bike is big, fast, quiet, smooth and fun but, (and don't tell her I said this) the shifter is hooked up backwards. I told Deb not to worry about the flat, I would just plug it when I got back to the house. (I was pretty sure she would ignore me, and I was right. I got back to find a new pair of shoes installed on the Zuki.)



Since I am the only MotoGP fan in these parts I will refrain from boring you with race details. It was a circus with some big names hitting the track hard, two Americans in the top 5, and no hurricane.



After waiting about an hour for traffic to start moving around the track Deb and I headed home. It was a much easier ride than last year but still pretty cold. It would be hard to prove global warming by midwest temperatures this year!

I did catch a case of machine lust this year; BMW had their new S100RR sport bike on display (as did Yamaha with the new R1). I swore off BMWs after the K1200RS went away to buy Nomad, (best deal I ever made) but yowzza...that is a sweet looking piece of motorcycle go fast.

2 comments:

S/V Veranda said...

I can relate to your love of motorcycling. One of the last and most difficult possessions for me to part with when we left was my beloved Hayabusa.

TJ said...

Ouch, a Busa? We may yet end up keeping a bike or two stashed somewhere. Hard to say what will be a couple of years from now.