Friday, April 16, 2010

Hell's gate

I am sitting within walking distance of the famous "Hell's gate" just off Manhattan Island, New York. "Walking distance," since I am inland visiting family, and they live just a couple of blocks from Astoria Park. Standing at the fence in the park has one looking directly out on a churning channel of water that looks to be in wicked motion either north-east or south-west, depending on the state of the tide. Watching the surging and twisting whirl pools and eddies makes it easy to see how this stretch of river got its name, and has given me a new appreciation for horse power and LWL. On her best day, broad reaching with her little 9.5 hp lung huffing for all it was worth, little Nomad still couldn't muscle her way against that current. (Not that the wind could ever blow that direction!) It has also given me a new enthusiasm for mastering the tide tables.

For you see, some day in the not-too-distant future, I hope to sail a boat on those tides. Northbound, (in the spring) toward Cape Cod and southbound, (in the fall) toward the Bahamas, or maybe Bermuda, someplace warm anyway. New York, though, will be a stop along the way. We hope to spend tomorrow visiting a marina or two, getting some initial idea of what will be involved in making the Big Apple a serious lay-over.

I think we might have many years of reasons to spend time near here, the kids love it. In just 24 hours of visiting I can see why. I am completely charmed by their neighborhood, their little New York apartment, (which is still much bigger than any boat Deb and I can afford to live on) and the life they are building. Though it would never work for me, for the first time in my life I understand how someone could spend their whole lives living in just one place. The river near-by may be "Hell's Gate" but this is as cool a place to live as I have ever run across.

p.s. On Sunday morning we walked to the playground for one last romp with Christopher. Low and behold a sailboat appeared in the water between Mill Rock Park and the point of land that holds Hellgate field. Bone in her teeth and running on the ebb tide she swept under the Triborough (Robert F. Kennedy) Bridge looking as if she was doing every bit of 10 knots. In just a few minutes she was past 20th Avenue and out of sight. Whoever was on the helm made it look easy.

P.s.s. I actually consider myself more of a C.L.O.D; cruiser living on dirt. (See above.)

1 comment:

S/V Veranda said...

My wife and I have spent a lot of time in the city. Mastering Hells gate was a big accomplishment but seeing the city from the water is something we'll never begin to explain....You're in for a treat.