Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oscar Wilde and the Do-Nothing Day




Oscar Wilde once said that "To do nothing at all is the most difficult thing in the world.".  He should have been a sailor.

Last weekend Tim had to leave the lake Saturday evening because he actually had to go to work Sunday morning, and since the wind deigned to grace us with its presence on Saturday, we stayed in our little cove at Cole's Creek for the whole day doing.......absolutely nothing.

I mean this in the absolute, purest sense of the word.  We sat in the cockpit and watched the great blue herons chase each other back and forth across the cove.  We watched the crazy fishermen rushing madly around the cove trying to hyper-fish.  I know, it's an oxymoron, but they do it.  We dozed.  We stretched.  We occasionally looked at each other in that married-for-35-years way that exchanges a thought without any words.  And not once did I think of my to-do list that permanently resides next to my computer on my kitchen counter.  It was life at its simple and most elegant best and it's perhaps what I cherish most about our little home-away-from-home.  It is my refuge from the "busy-ness" that so pervades every other moment of my week.


When we tell people about selling all of our stuff and retiring onto a boat, I pretty frequently have people ask me "But what will you do with all that time?" and while I suspect that boat maintenance will eat up a huge portion of it, I hope to be able to say "absolutely nothing" about at least part of it, with the exception, of course, of reading a little Oscar Wilde.

1 comment:

RichC said...

FYI: I've been wanting to comment to let you know I enjoy reading your blog (encouraging you to keep posting)... and enjoy knowing someone else in the midwest pursuing the same like-minded dreams (although I'm currently boat-less). Keep up the posting as it is encouraging and enjoyable to read.