Friday, December 2, 2011

Little Christine

I'm thinking of changing Kintala's name to Little Christine - after the 1958 Plymouth Fury made famous in the Steven King novel. It isn't that I think Kintala is possessed and out to get even for some horrible event in her past, (hence the "Little"). But I am beginning to wonder if some bald-headed-middle-aged-white-guy might have bounced her off a pier or something and she has mistaken me for him.

The aft cabin door is a little warped so it wouldn't quite close and latch, something I only noticed as it has gotten colder and we try to keep the living in area of the boat a little warmer. So I tweaked the door on the hinges just a jiggle, pulled it shut from inside the main cabin and is good, fits just like a door should.

But now it wouldn't open like a door should; in fact it would not open at all, is not good. It wasn't jammed in the frame. The latch wouldn't turn. So I grabbed me a screwdriver to take the latch out, glad there actually was a screwdriver in the main cabin. Most of the tools are in the aft cabin. In fact all the tools are in the aft cabin save for one or two screwdrivers. Is good. Only to discover that said latch comes out from the other side of the door, is not good. Said door which is the only door into the aft cabin, is not good times two. No use trying to climb through the hatches even if there were hatches and not screwed and sealed down pieces of plywood over where hatches used to be. Not even my smallest grand kid could fit through those holes; hatches or no. Is so not good.

There is a panel in the starboard lazarette. Maybe it opens to the back of the pantry? New plan.  Out to cold cockpit. Open lazarette. Remove mounds of stuff stuffed into lazarette. Pull panel. Take out all the food. Remove shelves. Climb through. Is good?

New plan works right up to "pull panel." The panel, which has a hand hole in it and gives every indication of being able to be removed, actually can't be removed from the lazarette side. It could come out into the aft cabin IF I could get through the door, which, if I could, would mean I didn't need to remove the panel. Is not good.

But wait! New new plan. Into lazarette, feet first, OVER water heater, lay on back, around 'fridge wiring, wiggle, over compressor, tight fit, let out breath, legs through lower access panel into aft cabin, limbo, butt and hips into aft cabin, take breath? Is so good! IN, without having to bust down door then add broken door to fix-it list.

Discover that door is simply locked. (Is good none of the grand kids managed to close door during one of their many visits. That would be instant crisis in Mom land.)

Unlock door, is good?

Is not good; still wouldn't open but at least deck monkey on proper side to disassemble latch. Latch out. Door open. Problem? Latch plate in door frame needs recessed.

Okay, will be good, after breakfast.

All this happen before deck monkey even brush teeth this morning.

I think I heard Kintala chuckle.

Little witch.

6 comments:

Bill K said...

Sorry TJ but I just had to laugh as I pictured you in my mind as you went through all those contortions.

Bill Kelleher

TJ said...

That's fair Bill, I was laughing as I wrote it.

OldSarg said...

We named one of the B-1B's Christine. It's electrical system would shut down mid flight and the only controls were the stick and throttle. No Nav no displays. I fixed the problem but they still renamed her. . .

TJ said...

Ouch Sarg, didn't we spend about a billion dollars of taxpayer money on each of those things? Of course I've landed the Citation a couple of times with all the screens blank as well...

Maybe I should take up knitting?

Anonymous said...

Did you do a proper renaming ceremony? Have you found anything with the old name still on board? I recommend another renaming ceremony, with plenty of spirits and really mean it this time. If that doesn't work, at least you had a good party!

TJ said...

We haven't had a proper renaming party yet. The party calander at our marina is kind of full and wedging in another one takes serious pre-planning. But we will surly give it a try! Sadly though the v-drive / tranny / engine mount / damper plate failed long before Encore became Kintala. Still, any excuse for a party works for me...maybe we'll have the renaming ceremory when the engine actually turns the propeller once again.