Monday, December 26, 2011

The Top 10 Best Things About Winter in a Marina

This morning I woke up to find a very heavy frost coating everything in the marina.  It was so thick I almost thought it had snowed.  It was incredibly beautiful, the sort of sparkly, twinkly beauty that my two granddaughters love to have stuck to every single thing they wear / touch / play with,  but it was unfortunately one of those things that you just can't catch the beauty of with the lens of a camera. This is what the dock box looked like:


I can't say as I'm exactly looking forward to the next two and a half months, but I can say that I've managed to find quite a few good things about the cold weather, and in the spirit of a few other blogs that I frequent, I'll add my own "Top 10" list - The top ten best things about winter in a marina.

  1. The ice and frost are incredibly beautiful on a sunny morning.
  2. There is much more wildlife in the marina to enjoy.  The Great Blue Herons are much more approachable, letting you get within a few feet before they utter that horrific prehistoric screech and take off.  The mink are not so approachable which I'm pretty sure is a good thing.
  3. The hot shower in the bath house is almost as good as sex.
  4. Sex is better in a pile of warm quilts :)
  5. It's cool enough to do a lot of baking in the boat.
  6. The inside of the boat is really cozy with the smell of cinnamon bread wafting out of the oven.
  7. There's no rush to get up and get to the list of activities so we almost always get 8 glorious hours of sleep.
  8. The Boat Chore List is not quite as pressing.
  9. You get pretty close to the few other crazy people staying through the winter.
  10. Let's face it - Hot Buttered Rum tastes much better when it's miserably cold outside.

No comments: